Have you seen the Clara dress pattern? I fell in love with it before my daughter was born and tried to buy it. My bank's security system wouldn't let the transaction through - when I contacted Isager because my order didn't seem to be being processed, they advised that this isn't uncommon for Australian customers. Apparently the 'falcon' thinks that you're trying to shop in person in the US when it knows you were only down the street using your card 20 minutes ago, and it rejects the transaction. Over a year went by, and I tried again (this time with a card from a smaller bank), and was successful. The problem is, that the pattern is sized for a chest circumference of up to 20", and that's my daugher's current measurement. I didn't want to go to the effort of making the dress only to have her grow out of it before winter is over.
Well, after many calculations and much trial and error, I've finally finished my 18-24 month size of the pattern. I managed to make it out of the two skeins (500m) of wool in the kit, with just 2m to spare (most of the calculations were me working out how many stitches I could expect to knit out of each gram of yarn, and therefore how long I could afford to make the skirt!).
In summary I:
- Cast on 260 sts (after I had nearly finished I read other posts on Ravelry, and yes it would have been easier to use 261stitches, and decrease one stitch in the first round of the pattern)
- Then followed the pattern, knitting to a length of 29 cm / 11.5 inches
- Split into rows at the start of the moss band beneath the bodice, 'splicing' it to create a lapped opening.
- Included a moss stitch button band on both ends of the row as I was knitting from this point forward, adjusting the pattern accordingly, and evenly spacing three buttonholes. In hindsight I would have put the bottom buttonhole in the horizontal moss band - it pulls a little.
- Knitted the 'set sleeve' row as follows: Moss 5, k26 sts, place next 10 sts on holder, CO 65 sts, k54 sts, place next 10 sts on holder, CO 65 sts, k25 sts, moss 5 (245 sts on needle).
- Inserted one additional WS row after Rnd 1, three additional rows (with only one k2tog tbl in each repeat for right-side rows - ie. no decreasing over the length of the row) after 'Rnd 14', and two each after Row 1, Row 3 and Row 5.
- Omitted Row 9 and Row 10 (giving a total of 32 rows from the top of the moss band to the bottom of the neckband).
- Knitted up 77 stitches for each sleeve band. Due to my yarn restrictions I knitted eight rows on each.