Thursday, March 29, 2012

The definition of madness

They say that the definition of madness is repeating the same actions and expecting different results.  I'm telling myself that I'm not quite at that point, as I've made some minor differences between the two versions I've completed of View C of the Simplicity 2245 / Lisette Portfolio top in the last 2-3 weeks.  Here they are:

After making this first one I decided that my second version should be longer, and the plan was to add some sort of sash/belt to give the top some shape.  Its rather like wearing a sack!

The problem is, that now that I've actually made the second one I'm not sure that the sash idea will look right either.  Hmmm.  The tops are really comfortable, and the shape allows me to feed the Newbie with no dramas.  I feel like I'm wearing hospital scrubs though.

The verdict?  This year's about trying new things from a sewing point of view, and I'm going to use this exercise as a reminder to myself to consider the shape of my body more when choosing patterns.  Having said that I will try this pattern again, but I'll use a fabric that drapes more and wait until I finish breastfeeding.  The style might suit my body shape more then, and I can make the dress version (with some luck the added length will mean more weight in the fabric to increase the amount of drape).

On another note, I found when I got this pattern home that it seemed to be sized to fit the measurements on the back, which I have to say is the first time I've found this to be true of a women's pattern!  As a result, I needed to make it larger than printed (perhaps that should have set off a red light in my head?!?).  If you're thinking of buying it this's worth bearing in mind when choosing which size pattern to pick up.

As further evidence of my insanity, I'm sharing my failure over here.  Of course, I'll also be checking out what other people have been up to.

Thursday, March 22, 2012


Things have been super-busy over here, and although I've been snatching time here and there to sew, I haven't taken any time to photograph or blog.

I'm really excited though, firstly because I finally got around to using the twin needle I begged the Cyclist into buying for me a month ago (apparently I told him it was urgent - think he thinks I conned him into going to the fabric store for no good reason).  I LOVE it!  I've never been game to use knitted fabrics because of the stretch/wavy seam factor, but my new twin needle is brilliant!!  Here's my first real effort at using it (finished a couple of weeks ago - its already been through the wash, but today was the first chance I got to take photos):

The cardigan was really simple (four rectangles out of leftovers from this wrap), and I'm not overly keen on the fit, but what I am impressed with is the seams - not a hint of unwanted stretching or waviness along the seams.  Fantastic!  I was so enthused that I started on a T-shirt for the Schoolboy.

The other reason that I'm excited is the Spring Top Sew-Along.  You may have noticed that I've added the button to my blog.  I've used it as incentive to make myself a couple of tops.  I've taken photos of them today too, but a post about them will have to wait another day or two.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Nothing new under the sun

My creative space this week is a little like Sesame Street.  Instead of being 'brought to you by the letter "J" and the number "3"' though, I'm bringing you my second Girlify post 'brought to you by the blog "Sew Love It" and the blog "Make-it Love-it".

This body suit was too wide and short for my Newbie.  Not to mention that the train would've had people confused about her gender.  This year's summer in Melbourne has been variable to say the least (winter temperatures, rain and wind today, but too hot and humid for my liking just a few days ago).  A light cardi would be a good addition to her wardrobe, so I got brave and cut the bottom off the bodysuit, turning it into a double-breasted cardigan.

I then set about embellishing it and hiding the train.  In doing so I used:

  • The ruffle and gathering ideas from her red ruffle pants to create a ruffle that extends from the top press-stud inside, around the neckline and the bottom edge, back to the bottom press-stud at the front.  I used 1.5" wide fabric strips, with contrast thread for the zig-zag on the edges, and gathered it down the centre.
  • The flower ideas I had for the Girlfy pyjamas, but I used eight narrower petals of two separate colours, stitching them together in pairs.
  • This idea for covering a button for the centre of the flower
It took me about a week to complete due to the craziness of life in our place at the moment, but the actual sewing time was pretty short.  If you've got a wrap body suit that isn't quite right I'd highly recommend taking the scissors to it!!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...