Sunday, December 11, 2011

Feeding chair [tick]

This afternoon I've completed a long-standing project.  Here it is:


Years ago I salvaged this chair from a rubbish skip down the road:


It didn't look so bad back then - it had a lovely golden glow, but we ended up with too many chairs, it needed repair (the seat started to fall out of the bottom of it), and it ended up in the back yard for a couple of years.  I cut a fresh seat for it from some timber salvaged from another roadside find and kidded myself that placing it under the eaves would protect it until I could get to re-finishing it with exterior varnish.  Well, both the chair and its supplementary seat had seen better days, but I still loved the shape.  In between time I'd also sold off a number of the chairs we had inside, so it was time for the 'captains chair' to be reinvigorated as a feeding chair for the baby's room.

Firstly I reinforced under the original seat:


Then I coated it with several layers of paint (I used interior/exterior primer first, just in case it ends up outside again).



I painted the supplementary seat too.  I left it in two pieces because its such a tight fit that it needs to be in two pieces to fit it into the chair.  I confess to being too lazy to fix the split that had developed on the left though.

I then left it for ages because I didn't know how to proceed next made a cushion for the seat from a combination of a foam cushion insert, a cut up scatter cushion (to fill out the curves), three layers of dacron (to try and make the lot look uniform) and some calico (to hold it all together).  Today, having been inspired by this pin, I made a cushion cover from a men's jumper from the op shop.  The cable knit hides the imperfections in the cushion underneath better than a more traditional cover (I had originally been envisaging something with piped edges).


You can still see the gaps in the timber seat, and I didn't fill all of the holes in the chair itself, but all up I'm pretty happy with the result considering where I started.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm - it's looking rather blue...which is traditionally a boy colour???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of that - perhaps I should have waited/stuck with the black and white. Not to worry - I have declared the house a pink-free zone in any case, so you'll have to keep wondering until Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Chair Redo turned out fabulous!
    I'd love it if you linked this up to my party!!
    http://ablondesdiylife.blogspot.com/2011/12/come-party-with-blonde-features.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...