Tuesday, January 4, 2011

No 'poo for 3 weeks!


You may recall that back on 13 December I started a 'no shampoo' experiment.  The idea was to lower my use of palm oil (plus packaging plastic) by switching to a bi-carb soda and vinegar system for washing my hair.   I used a water/bicarb ratio of 1:3 for washing my hair (applied to dry hair before my shower), with a 'conditioner' of water and vinegar (1:4) with added vanilla and a cinnamon stick afterwards on some days.

Well, it's been 3 weeks, and despite the fact that my hair's oily and usually needs washing every day the results haven't been too bad.  Not fantastic, but not too bad.  It only took a couple of days for my scalp to settle down and feel normal.  I don't think that it looked too different to normal when it was blowdried in my usual style (no one but the Man commented, and that includes my hairdresser when I went last week). My hair was more greasy, not substantially so, but enough to make it much easier to put up, which has been fantastic from my point of view.   Unfortunately, it also felt and looked slightly greasy - not hugely, but enough to make the Man complain (not sure if there'd be so many complaints if he hadn't noticed the change in bottles in the shower and been skeptical right from the start).

The verdict?  I think the experiment has been good because it's made me question whether or not I need to shampoo, and in particular shampoo every day.  I washed my hair with shampoo and conditioner last night and was conscious of using a lot less - I think it's easy to get into the habit of overdoing it really thinking about how much you need, and the experiment was a bit of a 'reset' for me in this regard.

The plan from now on?  I'm going to try shampooing every 2nd or 3rd day, and using the bicarb solution between times.  The days I do shampoo I'm going to try and use as little product as possible.  This way I'll be reducing my palm oil and packaging usage.  If over time I can stretch out how many days I go before shampooing then great.  If not, then that's OK too.

If you'd like more information on conducting your own "no 'poo" experiment, my main sources of information were One Green Generation and Babyslime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...