Friday, January 21, 2011

Project 52: Bake a new dish

We don't usually have lollies in our house.  Not usually too many cakes or biscuits either.  I eat them.  The boys forget that they've been given lolly bags at parties as soon as they get home, so I don't offer them any (they're not good for them).  I bake cupcakes and freeze them so they're available for school lunches but not for trips through the kitchen.  You get the picture.


Well, for pretty much all of December we had lollies.  And cake.  And chips.  And I gained a sugar addiction and at least a kilo.  Hmmm.  Now to detox.  Every year or two I do a detox, mainly to help me to remember that vegetables are my friends and that eating them doesn't really take that much effort.  I'm good at dinnertime, but somehow having a salad at lunch seems like so much work in comparison to a sandwich with a spread on it.


My favourite detox came from a library book that I borrowed years ago.  It involves fasting for a couple of days (not my favourite bit) and then eating fruit, vegetables and rice for the remainder of the week.  Once I get into the swing of the vegan+ bit its not too bad (not that I'd keep it up permanently), but my problem has been finding recipes that fit the bill.  So, even though my recipe cupboard literally can't hold another thing, I bought the Women's Weekly Detox book mid-December when I saw it on the playgroup bookclub pile. 




I started in the middle of last week, and am loosely following the week-long program.  It's essentially the same as my fave, but no two day fast.  Have felt achy, headachy, [allegedly] grumpy, but have been enjoying the change, and of course I've made a truckload of new dishes.  My favourites so far have been the juices though, so I thought that I'd share my favourite combinations with you:


Watermelon & mint (ratio: 1 mint leaf to ~100g of watermelon)
Peach, apple & strawberry (ratio: 1 peach & 1 apple to 2 strawberries)


I've also tried papaya for the first time (not my favourite), so I was tossing up whether or not to count this as 'bake a new dish' or 'try a new food'.  Given that most of the stuff is new though, I've gone with the 'new dish' option.


Here's my list as it stands:

1. Subscribe to, write your own or read a blog on something unique and doable
2. Cull your facebook friends
3. Find a new music artist and share your favorite song
4. Read a classic novel or novel by classic author
5. Get a facial
6. Get a Pedicure
7. Get a Manicure
8. Have a Massage
9. Do a good deed for someone you live with
10. Do a good deed for someone you don't live with 
11. Create a bucket list
12. Choose something from your bucket list and do it
13. Choose something from your bucket list and do it
14. Choose something from your bucket list and do it
15. Buy a random gift for someone you love
16. Go on a picnic
17. Go for a photo walk 
18. Go to the beach and eat ice cream
19. Research and find a new dinner place
20. See a movie
21. Bake a MasterChef dessert
22. Bake a new dish
23. Take a day trip to a new place
24. Read the book of proverbs
25. Share your journal
26. Take a bubble bath with candles and music
27. Try a new food
28. Get a spray tan (if you are already tanned.... You have to create your very own thing here!!)
29. Write a note to one of your parents
30. Write a scripture on your mirror
31. List the reasons why you love your job
32. Plant or tend a garden/plant/vegie/herb patch
33. Play a game
34. Go on a ferry train
35. Subscribe to a new podcast
36. Go to the park
37. Do a random act of kindness
38. Take someone to lunch
39. Keep a gratitude journal for a week
40. Go to Ikea
41. Evaluate your yearly goals
42. Read the book of James
43. Read the book of Galatians
44. Lay out under the stars
45. Buy a new item of clothing
46. Start a new tradition 
47. Find a festival to celebrate in Sydney Melbourne
48. Download and play a song from your childhood
49. Take a class
50. Learn something new
51. Watch an animated movie with a child
52. Find a poem to love 
53. Organise your wardrobe
54. Go for dessert with someone you love
55. Invite someone new over for dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...